Adoption Support Fund
News / Events
Adoption Support Fund - Q&A
How does the fund work?
1. Does each Local Authority (LA) receive a fixed sum of money each year from the ASF?
2. Are there time restrictions/limitations on when a LA can apply to the ASF?
3. What happens if there is a change in the circumstances during delivery of the services and the recipient no longer meets the criteria of the ASF?
4. How long does it take for the ASF to review an application?
5. How will the money be received by the local authority?
Questions about Fund Eligibility
1. Who is eligible for support from the Fund?
2. When would a family with an overseas adoption be in scope of the fund?
3. Does the child need to be living with their parents to qualify for funded support? What if they are being accommodated Under Section 20?
4. To what age will the fund support eligible children?
5. When can an LA apply for support for a child with a Special Guardianship Order (SGO)?
6. Who can make an application to the Fund?
Fair Access Limit
1. What is a Fair Access Limit?
2. How long will the limits be in place?
3. What are the Fair Access Limit arrangements for Financial Year 2016/17 and Financial Year 2017/18?
5. Can the Fair Access Limit be used for more than one Specialist Assessment?
6. Why have you introduced a Fair Access Limit for Specialist Assessments?
7. Why is the Specialist Assessment Fair Access Limit set at £2,500 per child?
8. Why is the Therapy Fair Access Limit set at £5,000 per child?
9. What will happen to families in urgent need of support whose costs exceed the Fair Access Limits?
10. Will the Fair Access Limits ensure that the ASF keeps within budget?
11. What therapy has the fund been used on?
12. What evidence do you have that this type of therapeutic support actually works?
13. How many children will not get services as a result of these changes?
14. Why did you extend the fund to SGO’s and others when you didn’t have enough funding?
15. Which providers have received funding, how much?
16. What is the most expensive therapy provided?
17. Isn’t this a blow to hard pressed councils at a time of tightened budgets?
18. Will these changes impact on children with highest need the most?
19. Are birth children of the adopted parents eligible to access the fund?
20. Can we still apply for therapeutic parenting sessions?
21. Why is a Fair Access limit necessary?
Questions about Specialist Assessment
1. What is a Specialist Assessment?
What support services can the Fund be used for?
1. What therapies/services are eligible for ASF funding?
2. Can we use the Fund to pay for staff training?
3. Will the ASF fund therapies in a short break setting?
4. Will the Adoption Support Fund cover travel and other expenses such as overnight accommodation?
5. Can we apply for therapies that last several years?
Who can deliver support services to recipients of the Fund?
1. Who can the Local Authority commission to provide services to children and their families?
2. Is there a requirement for providers to be OFSTED registered?
3. Is there a searchable list of therapy providers available to us?
4. Are services provided by suppliers outside of England but delivered in England in scope?
5. Does the person carrying out the assessment of therapeutic need have to be a social worker?
How to resolve problems
1. Who can an adopter/special guardian contact if they are having problems accessing the ASF or support offered by their Local Authority?
2. Who can providers contact if they have questions about the ASF?
3. What should I do if I have a complaint?
Copyright 2017 by Adoption Support Fund, UK
Adoption Support Fund
22 Station Road
Terms and Conditions
Department for Education (DfE)
SEND Pathfinder Info Packs
Mott MacDonald Social Care
Mott MacDonald Education
Follow our Twitter account from Hugh Thornbery
Back to Top